We provide guidance on organizational structure, strategic collaborations, and developing policies for leaders across the communities we serve.
Convenings and workshops
We bring together researchers and key administrators to develop concrete guidelines for emerging issues:
Annually, we hold the William G. Bowen Colloquium on Higher Education Leadership, a meeting of college and university presidents seeking solutions to current challenges facing our sector.
We offer a department chair leadership virtual workshop with The Chronicle of Higher Education and regularly host workshops for consortia.
We survey leaders to understand the barriers they face and the new initiatives they are planning:
- Art Museum Demographic Survey: With the support of the Mellon Foundation, we survey art museum directors on their approaches to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Higher Ed Insights: A select panel of 150+ advisors responds to an annual survey on issues of national importance in higher education.
- US Library Survey: This survey examines strategy and leadership issues from the perspective of academic library deans and directors on a triennial basis.
Commissioned and sponsored research
Ithaka S+R has been engaged by several outside organizations to research and provide strategic guidance on a range of key issues:
- Alternative Postsecondary Pathways (on behalf of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences)
- ASERL Salary Survey (on behalf of the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries)
- The Effects of Rising Student Costs in Higher Education: Evidence from Public Institutions in Virginia (in partnership with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and with the support of the Mellon Foundation)
- Instructional Quality, Student Outcomes, and Institutional Finances (on behalf of the American Council on Education)
- Office of Scholarly Communication: Scope, Organizational Placement, and Planning in Ten Research Libraries (on behalf of Harvard University Libraries)