Improving College Opportunity for Veterans and Service Members
Hosted by Ithaka S+R and College Board
On February 10-11, Ithaka S+R and the College Board are hosting a convening on Improving College Opportunity for Veterans and Service Members at John Hopkins University in Baltimore. The goals of this convening are to build and leverage community amongst organizations focused on improving opportunities for veteran students; share knowledge on effective practices that can improve recruitment, support, graduation, and opportunities for veteran students; and support and sustain commitments
The convening will open on February 10 with keynote remarks from Robert Caslen, president of the University of South Carolina and former superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point. On February 11, the program includes breakout sessions on:
- How to connect service members and veterans with a broader range of promising educational opportunities and programs. It will also include how participants in the pipeline can engage with service members and with each other to help put them on a good trajectory after separation.
- How to optimize GI Bill benefits, BAH housing, Yellow Ribbon, vocational rehabilitation benefits and state/local benefits for postsecondary education.
- How to track, report, and measure veteran student enrollment and success.
- How to support veteran students as they transition from pre-matriculation to post-graduation. This also includes how career services offices and employers can better support veteran students on campus and as they transition into the workplace.
- Best practices for recognizing, understanding, and using information about military experience, training, and prior education in admissions and other academic settings.
- How to sustain veteran-focused partnerships among community colleges and four-year institutions.
For more information, please contact us using the form below.