Revenue, Recession, Reliance
Revisiting the SCA/Ithaka S+R Case Studies in Sustainability
In 2009 Ithaka S+R investigated the sustainability strategies of twelve digital content projects in the higher education and cultural heritage sectors in the US, UK, France, Germany, and Egypt. Two years and one economic crisis later, Ithaka S+R, with the generous support of the JISC-led Strategic Content Alliance, decided to revisit the original twelve case studies to see how their models had held up, where weaknesses might be starting to show, and what new strategies project leaders were adopting in response. “Revenue, Recession, Reliance: Revisiting the SCA/Ithaka S+R Case Studies in Sustainability” and the accompanying case studies reveal many changes: two projects have significantly re-imagined their core mission, one radically so. Several have faced severe budget cuts, leading them to consider other approaches; some have been quite successful by continuing to build on what was already a strong value proposition and show continued signs of entrepreneurial drive and a willingness to experiment with new revenue streams.
Case Studies in Sustainability 2011
- The Department of Digital Humanities (DDH) at King’s College London
- Electronic Enlightenment (EE)
- Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- L’Institut national de l’audiovisuel
- The Middle School Portal 2: Math and Science Pathways, National Science Digital Library
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG)
- The National Archives (TNA)
- University of Southampton Library Digitisation Unit
- V&A Images
AttributionNonCommercial 4.0 International License License. To view a copy of the license, please see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/. ITHAKA is interested in disseminating this report as widely as possible.